Sunday, October 9, 2011

Natures Jungle Gym

This piece is probably my most ambitious undertaking so far owing mainly to its size (1000mm x 700mm). My aim is to have at least this and one other of a similar size ready to add to the current collection for the Pretoria opening in a months time. Progress is slow as I still have a day job (although that will be changing soon - Yay!!) In the mean time I would like to share some insights into this piece of work.
While out and about with the kids one afternoon we came accross this wonderful fallen tree which made an awesome natural jungle gym for the kids. Had we not needed to get home they could easily have spent an entire afternoon exploring this natural structure. It makes for wonderful (and daunting) subject matter as there are incredible contrasts of light and texture in the scene which allow me the chance to get stuck in with my 9B solid graphite. 
The contrasting textures are challenging; from bark to wood to plastic but eventually one works out a method for each one. Currently I have spent approximately 20 hours on this piece. I estimate that I am probably at the half way mark. VR

No comments:

Post a Comment